Mmm, books
In my 2006 effort to read more good books (not to be confused with my resolutions to download more music than I did in 2005 and teach my dog to fly), I've been raiding the "Now Reading" thread on VC. Specifically, stalking Maudie's recommendations. I now have in my possession:
Created in Darkness by Troubled Americans - McSweeney's humor editors
All Souls: A Family Story from Southie - Michael Patrick MacDonald
Come Back to Afghanistan: A California Teenager's Story - Said Hyder Akbar
The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay - Michael Chabon
The Best American Travel Writing 2000
The Best American Travel Writing 2001
Boogers are my Beat - Dave Barry (okay, that one I just saw on the shelf and grabbed)
I've started in on Come Back to Afghanistan already. I was predisposed to like it when I noticed that the two songs whose publication info is cited in the front are by U2 and R.E.M. - the U2 song being "Love Rescue Me." In any case, I definitely enjoyed the eight pages I've read so far...
Created in Darkness by Troubled Americans - McSweeney's humor editors
All Souls: A Family Story from Southie - Michael Patrick MacDonald
Come Back to Afghanistan: A California Teenager's Story - Said Hyder Akbar
The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay - Michael Chabon
The Best American Travel Writing 2000
The Best American Travel Writing 2001
Boogers are my Beat - Dave Barry (okay, that one I just saw on the shelf and grabbed)
I've started in on Come Back to Afghanistan already. I was predisposed to like it when I noticed that the two songs whose publication info is cited in the front are by U2 and R.E.M. - the U2 song being "Love Rescue Me." In any case, I definitely enjoyed the eight pages I've read so far...
Labels: books
4 Comments:
Kavalier and Clay is great. It's amazingly fast reading, too.
Excellent. I'm about 1/3 of the way through Afghanistan, and perhaps I'll make Kavalier and Clay my next selection.
Yikes, I haven't even gotten to Afghanistan yet! All Souls is haunting, you'll love it. Hey, you're my first stalker... I'm touched!
Aww, I'm glad. Just don't look out your window right now, mmkay?
I'm nearly finished with Come Back to Afghanistan. Once I got a handle on all of the characters, it started moving really quickly. It's very interesting. Such a unique perspective.
Post a Comment
<< Home