You can feel it all over

This is where I would normally put a picture I took during last night's wonderful show at the Hotel SnS. Unfortunately, due to a stupid water-spilling move on my part, my camera is out of commission and may be down for the count. So I don't have any photos of last night's show.
But don't cry for me, friends. Even if my fellow basement show revelers hadn't taken enough pictures to go around, the images would still be stamped in my brain for posterity. You don't forget weekends like this one. I'm sure I say something similar every year, and every year it's true.
The fun commenced on Friday night with the Rock 'n Roll Hell party at SnS. I'm very proud of our collective creativity: there was nary an Elvis nor a Janis Joplin in the house. No, a peek into Rock and Roll Hell in Humboldt Park on Friday would have shown Allen Ginsberg chatting with Don Ho as DeeDee Ramone and Waylon Jennings faced off in a Guitar Hero battle, while Laura Branigan, Dusty Springfield, and Mimi Farina discussed pork cheeks with John Philip Sooza. I went as Lisa "Left Eye" Lopes, and although I wasn't forced to sing "Waterfalls," I did brandish my gasoline can and threaten to burn down random people's houses. Sam (or should I say Michael Hutchence?) always has the best party ideas.
Saturday got started seemingly just a few hours after Friday ended, with the annual Hot Doug's outing, followed by the annual baking and cooking and Hotel SnS prepping. I really think our chefs outdid themselves this year, with a truly stunning array of pork-related items among other delicious dishes and desserts. Alison needs to make at least twice as much mac and cheese next time. Same with those oatmeal butterscotch cookies. Evonne wins the creativity prize for the year, though, by making commemorative pot holders for all.
Not long after Jeff and Susan (and Mike and Paula) arrived, the show got underway. It seems like each year's basement show has its own unique vibe - this might have been the "chatty" year. We're all easily distracted, it seems, and somehow managed to spend four-plus hours of concert time singing, playing, telling stories, asking questions, petting dogs, cooing over babies, teasing one another, dancing, and laughing. To focus on the "singing" part of that wonderful amalgam, there were many songs that stood out for me. "More Like the Moon" was lovely as always. "Thirteen" was excellent, and "Simple Twist of Fate" was an inspired choice that (eventually) worked out really well. (I liked the thought of Bob Dylan playing a living room show somewhere and being inundated by requests for Jeff Tweedy songs.) "I'm Always in Love" was a fitting choice to dedicate to Nat, and the upbeat song helped to counteract my sadness. For the first time I won't be chatting with her about our show today - and that's a damn shame, because she would have loved the story of the dedication.
Finally seeing "The Unwelcome Guest" performed was as amazing as I could have hoped. After years of Alison requesting it, her wish was granted at last - with the added bonus of Mart and Dave accompanying Jeff on vocals and guitar. As always, the talents of our musical friends made the night even more memorable. "Airline to Heaven" and "Long Cut" sounded great. And watching Jeff take a seat to watch Mart play "Sir Duke" (which they theoretically were supposed to play together) is a memory that will make me smile possibly forever. If we get to do this again next year, I hope we manage to convey some of our more unusual requests ahead of time so Jeff can feel more prepared - I did feel guilty about peppering him with so many requests for songs he could hardly be expected to know out of the blue. The performance of "Sir Duke," however, was perfect just the way it was.
After Jeff's last song was finally played, the group picture taken (about ten times), and the awesome Jay Ryan posters were signed, we bid the Tweedys goodnight. After a break for more chatting and consumption of various baked goods, it was back to the basement for the evening's main event (just kidding! or AM I?): more songs by Mart and Dave. From "Rocky Raccoon" to "Purple Rain," and the full ballad of Officer Ron Tugnutt and the Golden Nugget Rug, we sang and danced until we could sing and dance no more. Saying goodbye to everyone in the early morning hours is always bittersweet. We've had a fantastic time together, but it's almost over for now. People have planes to catch and drives to make, and some of us won't see each other again for quite awhile. Until people upload pictures, anyway.
How many different ways can I find to express how thankful I am, every year, that we get to do this? I don't think I'll worry about that too much. Whatever words I find, they're always genuine and from the heart. A lot of families had a brighter start to their new year thanks to the money raised by Letters to Santa. I am so fortunate to have an incredible group of friends who make this weekend so much more than just a show, or just a party, or "just" anything. Jeff and Susan are so giving of their time and energy, kindness and talents - and patience - in making these events possible. And then making them amazing. If I say that every year, then I guess it just means I'm one lucky girl.
Also see:
2007
2006
Labels: Dave Mirabella, Jeff Tweedy, Martin Rivas, SnS

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home