This is what I do
On Thursday night, Rhett Miller returned to the High Noon Saloon in Madison. I always enjoy a good Rhett show, and this one was no exception. (Actually, last time I saw him was kind of an exception. But I am not a big fan of the Believers.) Carrie Rodriguez started things off, with an introduction from Rhett himself. I'd never heard any of her music, but was thoroughly entertained by her performance. It's always a good sign when you're not bored by songs you don't know. Though she did her fair share of fiddling, for most of the set she was rocking an Epiphone Mandobird 4-string. Her new album was available in the back, and if I'd had more than $2 in my wallet I would have bought it.
Rhett played a set that seemed pretty long. There was some fun Madison banter, as always, and a nice variety of songs - a bit heavy on the newer stuff, as you'd expect. My favorite singalong remains "Barrier Reef," which was played during the first encore. Rhett ended one song with a Buzzcocks lyric, which prompted someone in the audience to yell out that they're in a commercial now. This, of course, prompted Rhett to tell us about his work for The Man, culminating in a rendition of the Chili's theme song he rewrote for the commercial. He made us promise before he played it that we wouldn't lose any respect for him, but I'm not gonna lie - when he got to chorus, soulfully belting out "Chili's baby back ribs" ... I couldn't help but cringe a little. It was still hilarious, though. And hell, if you're going to do it, might as well really sell that mofo. The best line of the night, however, came from Anya. A song or two later Rhett began playing "Singular Girl." About halfway through it, Anya leaned over. "This one's a commercial for Cingular, right?" Awesome.Setlist:
Won't Be Home
This Is What I Do
My Valentine
Adelaide
Nineteen
Big Brown Eyes
Buick City Complex
The New Kid
Fireflies
Ain't That Strange
Doreen
World Inside The World
Victoria
Indefinitely
Chili's Baby Back Ribs
Things That Disappear
Brand New Way
Salome
Singular Girl
Book Of Poems
Come Around
Niteclub
Murder (Or a Heart Attack)
Timebomb
Help Me Suzanne
Barrier Reef
Question
Our Love
Jagged
Erica The Beautiful
Labels: Carrie Rodriguez, concerts, High Noon, Rhett Miller

2 Comments:
I thought it was cool of Rhett to introduce his opening act like that - very classy move. All the more understood once we heard her - that Carrie girl was great. I went back, and all her CD's were sold. Bummer...
Yeah, Rhett seems to be very classy. Just a nice, regular guy. Thanks for the rundown of his show. Can't wait to see him live again!
Post a Comment
<< Home