Friday, December 07, 2007

Winter wonderland


This week on Tuesday and Wednesday, I marked my fifth year of spending more than 24 hours at Piper's Alley in Chicago for the Letters to Santa Benefit at Second City e.t.c. There's not a lot I can say about the experience that I haven't said in previous years. I saw a bunch of wonderful performers from literally one or two feet away on a tiny stage. I took part in a few onstage dance parties with the cast of comedians, a game of freeze tag, and two field trips out into the snow. I went on numerous coffee/tea runs. I endured the customary five or ten minutes of soul crushing stress during the big live charity auction for a private concert, which luckily ended on a positive note yet again. I ate little cups of Jell-o from my snack bag at 3:00 a.m. while Kim and Kelley Deal interviewed Steve Albini. I watched Sooz knit a fantastic striped scarf for her new stuffed penguin. All, still, for $10. All told, with the auctions (including, for the second straight year, the chance to peg Joe Canale in the balls with a football) over $80,000 was raised in that 24-hour period. I can't wait to hear about the families who are helped this year. We had a solid 24-hour group this year, with Sooz, Paul, Sam, and Leah in for the long haul with me. I hope we can add even more people in 2008. It's fun, you guys! Sure, there are times when you briefly want to die, but you totally bounce back!

Pics:
Janet Bean and Sally Timms

Jeff Tweedy

Joe Canale narrowly avoids a football to the groin

Kelley and Kim Deal interview Steve Albini

The charming and talented Sofia Mia visits before school

Kelly Hogan and Robbie Fulks

The Blisters

Alexander von Humboldt the Irish penguin in the spotlight with TJ and Pete

Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger thevalet said...

You hit the nail on the proverbial head: There are times you briefly want to die, but you bounce back. That's part of the fun!

December 11, 2007 at 1:22:00 PM CST  

Post a Comment

<< Home