Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Buds on the bushes

Now is the time of year when I proceed to geek out about the weather and outdoorsy stuff. Although I have to admit that what my brain wants to do after the phrase "buds on the bushes" is continue singing, in a sultry R. Kelly voice, "...over by the stove, put you on the counter, by the buttered rolls..." Which reminds me, I'm finally finishing Haroun and the Sea of Stories, in which there is a character named Butt the Hoopoe. Naturally, I think of Mott the Hoople.

Okay, brief foray into my brain: over. Back to the weather. It's been warm and alternately rainy and sunny for the past few days, and I love it to death. T-shirt and pants weather. All around my house the bushes have buds or tiny leaves, the trees are starting to bud, the grass isn't that ugly brown anymore ... man. I love early spring. It'll be 90 degrees before I know it, so I want to savor this.

Finally, I forgot to mention one final thing that was awesome about my weekend. On Sunday I got back to Madison to find mail waiting for me. In the stack was a large packet from The Onion. I was puzzled for a few seconds, and then I realized what it must be, and tore open the envelope. Free tickets for the New Pornographers' private show at the High Noon in two weeks! Eeee! When Spoon did a similar show here I know they ended up releasing tickets to the general public a few days before the show, but I didn't want to have to hope that would be the case in this instance. And now I don't have to! Yay! I'm excited. I have to buy Electric Version before then. That's the day after Rhett Miller plays at the Barrymore, too.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger hip-hop-annonymous said...

Yay for you! And double yay for getting kick-ass mail!

April 13, 2006 at 4:03:00 PM CDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I also just read 'Haroun...' and immediately assumed that Mott the Hoople was being alluded to, that perhaps the band were in his mind when he wrote the book, but having googled the two phrases together, and looked at a few 'book club'/reader notes websites, this is the only page that has the two together... Am going to a book club discussion of it in half an hour from now - I'm curious to know if anybody else had the same thoughts as us three on here...

Thanks for 'being out there' - nice to know I'm not totally nuts.

February 25, 2007 at 8:11:00 AM CST  

Post a Comment

<< Home