Friday, July 08, 2005

Mmmurphy licked a mmmic stand

And Sam captured a photo, which I haven't had time to steal yet. So you can see it on samorama.com. (Update - actually, now I have had time to steal it. Here it is!) Sloan played a really rocking, upbeat show. I found Murph's posturing and flourishes charming and entertaining rather than off-putting, and Patrick Pentland is pretty awesome himself. I haven't purchased their greatest hits album yet, but I need to get on that. Kristina thought it was the best pure rock show she's seen in two years. I don't know if I'd say the same, but I definitely understand. I tried my best to call Canadian Judy during the show, though I'm not sure if it went through. After the show we talked to Murph for a few minutes. Sam confessed that this was her fifth time seeing Sloan, and he said that was the perfect number. "Not like some of these people who have seen us like 40 times!" he continued. He elaborated on such fans a little, in an entertainingly disparaging manner, while we all tried to control our chortles of laughter. I was like, "Oh my God, SERIOUSLY?"

Before Sloan was the funeral, which was ... funeral-y. I'm kind of tired of talking about this all by now. But it all went fine. One creepy detail though - you know those horror movies where, like, someone gets into a cab and then they notice that their cabbie is the murderer who's been stalking them around the city? Well that totally happened to me yesterday! Okay, no. But when I arrived for the wake on Wednesday, the man who opened the door and directed me inside was the former dean of students at my junior high school. That was weird enough, but then yesterday morning as we arrived at the funeral home, the guy who greeted us and told us how to arrange our cars (I don't know his title ... funeral wrangler?) was a former sixth grade teacher! He was my math team coach, for crying out loud. The hell? I honestly thought I might be slipping into some weird school-themed alternate reality for a few moments.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home