Tuesday, October 02, 2007

There is a road that meets the road that goes to my house

Last week I got up early one morning to go for a walk. I was out the door by 6:30 a.m., that time of the morning when it's not quite dawn, but not completely dark either. It was chilly outside, but I warmed up pretty quickly. At the end I was rewarded with a pretty sunrise. On the way back home I also noticed that the meadow down the street was still covered in frost, which was beginning to burn off - leaving a mist lingering a couple of feet from the ground. Near some trees I saw two deer grazing in the mist. That was pretty awesome. Not awesome enough to make me get up at 6:15 every day for pre-work vs. post-work cardio, but awesome enough that I am not averse to doing so on occasion.

That morning my curiosity was renewed about a particular road. Walking around my neighborhood can be a little tricky because many of the streets turn abruptly into country highways with rather zippy traffic. The area also isn't big on sidewalks. These two facts had prevented me from walking very far up Locust, a road that does in fact meet the road that goes to my house. About three blocks away, to be precise. I walk on Locust, but the sidewalk ends at the top of a hill and the road seemed to peter out soon after.


Doesn't look all that promising, right? I noticed, however, that sometimes cars drove down there and kept going. I had been meaning to drive down there myself to see what happened, and I decided that would be my day. So after work, that's what I did.

As soon as I passed the area I was familiar with, the road became more interesting.


Not long after that, it took a turn for the completely awesome. There was corn, an abandoned farm with really cool rounded roofs on the buildings, a freaking alpaca farm. Best road ever! I couldn't believe I'd never driven down it before. It pains me that I can't walk it. Unless I want to get killed by oncoming traffic, that is.


Just when I thought the road couldn't get any better, it ended. So I guess it couldn't. But it met another road that I turned left on, and followed for two minutes. Two minutes, people. And that was all it took for me to find myself in this tiny little town:


It is utterly adorable. I'd heard of it, actually, and knew it was nearby, but I had no idea it was FOUR MILES FROM MY HOUSE. Here are some of the things I saw there during my short visit:




Anyway, after taking a bunch of pictures I drove back home. It took seven minutes. Who knew?!

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Mystik Spiral said...

I read it 'cause your title quoted the Decemberists. You're so awesome.

October 3, 2007 at 1:38:00 AM CDT  
Blogger hodie said...

It IS adorable! But does anyone there have pellets?

October 3, 2007 at 8:02:00 AM CDT  
Blogger hip-hop-annonymous said...

I loved that post! Those pictures are like something you'd see in a movie, like Forrest Gump or something. I love roads that are surrounded by trees. Like 75th in Kenosha, or Lincoln Road...

Yes, we seriously do need to hang out!

I'll email you.

October 4, 2007 at 9:25:00 AM CDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home